I often wonder how will my relationship with my son be once he grows up? I also feel a bit scared realizing that he will not need me as much…he will get busy with his friends and as parents we will be lost in the background. Like that lady voice in google maps…you listen the directions when you are not sure which way to go…but once you get a hang of the route…you mostly just shut the app down. As a matter of fact…it’s the most natural thing to happen…when you will have lots of guidance to give but they will not be willing/interested to listen…we did the same right 🙂
But I always feel…it’s really important to have conversations with kids…and when I say conversation I do not mean updates…i mean real conversations..like the kinds you have with your BFF’s…that raw…unfiltered…real talk…where you can just be as bare as you can think of… without the fear of anyone judging you. It’s a must have for any human if you ask me but ironically we rarely happen to have this kind of chemistry with our parents/families these days…and thank God for friends who come to our rescue.
Today while sitting and looking at my son…I seriously hoped I will be able to be that parent for him. Ever since I got to know I am going to be a mom…I had these conversations in my head…with my baby to be…the lessons I learned the hard way but which totally changed my life for good…it’s like a crisp summary of my life so far :
- You may be tempted to mask your real self to fit in but do not ever try to loose yourself in imitating others…you are perfect as you are…your weirdness makes you unique and you should never be ashamed of it
- You cannot force anyone to stay in your life – letting go is at times the best thing to do in life
- It’s ok to make mistakes as long as you learn – and you will always have me to share them with
- Never give up on your dreams – they may not always come true…they may not always be within reach…but striving for them is what makes our life worth living!
And the most important
- “When given a choice to be right or be kind – Choose kind”- for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle – R.J Palacio